Thursday, May 28, 2009

I want to be like ... Dad

Tonight I attended a retirement party for my Godmother, Jeanie. She retired from the bank in town after 25 years of service - Congratulations to her!! It was a great retirement party, and it reminded of just how much she reminds of my Grandma - and my Dad. That Logghe blood - and craziness! - runs deep!!

The women that she works with got up and spoke, gave her some gag gifts, etc. They asked if anyone else wanted to get up and say anything ... my Mom turned to me and said, "Your Dad would've been the first one up there." And he would have been. He would've loved to get up in front of everyone, tell some funny stories about Jeanie, and probably talk about how he would miss seeing her at his weekly bank visits. Mom tried to coax me into "taking dad's spot", and getting up to say something - but I just couldn't do it.

It made me think about how I wish I was more like my Dad. He was never afraid to do or say anything. Now, I know at times I can have a big mouth - but times like tonight, I prefer to sit on the sidelines and let others do the talking. I wish I were like my Dad in that I could talk to anyone. I used to tease him that he could strike up a conversation with a brick wall, and in reality I teased him because I always wished I had that ability - the ability to talk to anyone, to be so friendly, to always know and remember people.

At work today, as I was walking out to my car, I heard my name called - and turned around to find the sports therapist who works at RCMC, who also attends sporting events in Glenwood as the trainer. He wanted to share with me that he will really miss Dad. That when he came to Glenwood for sporting events, he always knew he would be welcome - in part because my Dad was always the first to greet him, and make sure he was doing okay and had everything he needed. That was my Dad - always there with a smile, and always willing to lend a hand and help people out no matter what.

I find myself tonight not only missing him more than usual, but also making a mental list of ways I can try to be more like him. I only hope I can start to be like him, start being someone people remember as kind, friendly, and sincere. And always with a smile.

No comments: